Birthdays

Birthdays are for the ones you love
Never for yourself
Flowers, presents, a new pair of gloves
A few nicknacks to put on the shelf

To prove their love, friends throw surprise parties
Forcing themselves into your new life year
Dressed up like Kens and Barbies
Waiting for you to appear

Surprise!!

Blow out the candles and make a wish
Or just close your eyes and pretend
While the cake is cut and dished

I glance at my watch, waiting for it to end
This passage of time is not exciting for me
I don't want to reflect
On what was or what this year may be
Keep myself out of retrospect

The gifts are opened and the cake is crumbs
The guests all leave and their mess remains
Another year alone is all you gain
One day closer to the grave than yesterday
No one cares for another year
So, go ahead and wish me a happy birthday
You will be met with a polite thank you and a sneer

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflection

Merchants Tire and Auto

60