Six Weeks (Poem)

Every six weeks
These drugs do creep
Into my veins
A supposed antidote seeps

Chronic dripping
The needle silently threads
A tube into the crook of my arm
As I stare at the wall from my hospital bed

Everything is a continuous standoff
From insurance and infections
To side effects and symptoms
My body beats itself out of spite

Everyday is a fight
For things that will eventually disappear
From happiness and health
To love and life

I am defeated
On the days I remember
The life I had before
This disease rendered

Ailment one
Requires compromised immunity
Opening the bolted door to
Voracious viruses vaulting my viability

The cure breeds disease two
A simple strep infection
Pulls it from it's slumber
My skin succumbs to a burning plunder

I am illness personified
Every step I take
Is backwards straight out the gate
Unhealthy is my new life

While my body rots
My mind stays sharp
Enough to cut these thoughts
a guillotine for my insanity

My schedule revolves around
Six week intervals that
Break me down
Juice from a mouse makes me a rat

Gnawing at the insurance and drug companies
Biting at their cures and placebos
Sniffing at unaffordable dreams
Of health and heroes




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflection

Merchants Tire and Auto

60